About food hygiene and safety
Food hygiene covers the process of correctly preparing, handling and storing food to prevent foodborne illness. The food we eat makes a long journey from farms to factories to supermarket shelves.
Food products may come across a number of health hazards while they are being processed and packaged. It’s essential to practice safe food handling during every step of this process. It prevents food from being exposed to harmful bacteria and poor hygiene practices.
Food businesses that prepare and serve food must also uphold high standards. Restaurant and pub kitchens should:
- Be regularly and thoroughly cleaned.
- Prevent cross-contamination of raw and cooked food products.
- Ensure high standards of personal hygiene among team members.
- Ensure correct cooking temperatures are maintained to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.
- Be aware of the most common food allergens and how to prevent cross-contamination.
- Ensure the safe storage of food products.